>

Saturday 5 April 2014

The Emperor’s Soul by Brandon Sanderson: Book Review



Brandon Sanderson is the master of the unique fantasy world, complete with unique magic systems, and he doesn’t fail to deliver in this novella. In an Asian style setting, the people of this place have mastered a magic called ‘Forging’ – imprint an object with a seal (like a Chinese chop) that ‘tells’ the object what it would be if its past were rewritten - and it changes.

The closer the Seal is to the actual object in terms of probability, the easier it is to make it work. So restoring a worn desk to its former glory is relatively easy – it only supposes that someone didn’t stop caring for it. If there is absolutely no conceivable way the object you are working on could ever have been what you want it to be, the Seal fails. If a Seal is removed, because it remains as a physical seal that can be prised off, the object returns to its original form.

Shai is a Forger – the kind who dabbles in the forbidden, daring to Forge people’s souls, and even her own. Though she is reviled, when the Emperor suffers a terrible accident and has no memory of who he is, the political leaders turn to her in a desperate bid to reforge the Emperor’s Soul and return him to the man he was. The Emperor will remain in mourning for one hundred days, and this is the impossible timeframe Shai must work within.

But she knows that even if she succeeds, they dare not allow her to live…

Shai faces multiple challenges – Forging a soul is a complex task, one that is nigh impossible to do within a hundred days, and a task that requires her to intimately understand who the Emperor really is. Not just who he presents himself as, but his true self, a truth that may be lost with the Emperor’s memories. At the same time, she must plot an escape plan to get her beyond reach of her enemies. 

One of her captors, Gaotana, and close friend of the Emperor, makes himself available to her in this quest to learn the nature of the Emperor. As she probes the deepest motives of the Emperor, Gaotana finds himself questioning his beliefs about the evil nature of Forging. 

When Shai discovers that the Emperor lost his idealism, and his potential to be a great man, will she risk everything in a bid to restore to him the possibility of what he might have been?

Like all of Sanderson’s stories, this one captured me easily, even though it’s only short. It’s one of his most alien, though, and I found myself questioning this system of Forging and Seals more than I might question another magic system. Still, as the complexity of it revealed itself, I found myself more willing to suspend disbelief, particularly my scepticism that it would be possibly to replicate the almost infinite complexity that makes up a person to any kind of believable degree. Yet the evident level of complexity that went into Forging a Soul was sufficiently high to be believable.

An excellent fast read, highly recommended for readers looking for unique story worlds and magic systems. It won the 2013 Hugo Award for a Novella, and that really says it all.

This is an A to Z Blogging Challenge post. For more information about the challenge, check it out at A to Z Blogging. If you enjoyed this post, please feel free to check out my previous posts if you haven't already. If you're finding yourself here often, you might like to join as a member, sign up to the blog through RSS or email, or sign-up to my newsletterCheck out my March Newsletter if you missed it. 

Don't forget to share the love and spread the word on Twitter, Facebook or StumbleUpon (or other social networking site of your choice) if you know other people who might also enjoy this.

Thanks for stopping by and visiting with us!



8 comments:

A.M. Guynes/Annikka Woods said...

Okay, now I want to go read this book. The magic system sounds fascinating and the character development sounds intriguing. I want to see what Shai does and what happens to her. Great review.

Stephanie N said...

I really enjoy this author and am currently reading Words of Radiance. It's a big book to get through but it's really interesting. When I get a chance, I'll need to take a look a this novella. Cheers! Stephanie @ Curling Up By The Fire

Ciara Ballintyne said...

Crivens, I forgot Words of Radiance had been released! Excuse me, I have to go to Amazon now...

Ciara Ballintyne said...

If you haven't read any of Sanderson before, and you like unique magic systems, another good choice would be Warbreaker (standalone fantasy novel) or the Mistworld series (trilogy of short novels).

Kathleen O'Mara said...

Good reviews are so important! Thanks

Amanda Northrup said...

Oh man! I've read (and loved) 4 Sanderson books so far. He is so creative with magic systems and does such great world building. Elantris and Way of Kings are on my TBR shelf right now. How have I missed this one? I'm really interested to see how he handles the short form. Thanks for sharing!

Ciara Ballintyne said...

No worries :-)

Ciara Ballintyne said...

I haven't read Elantris, but I think I've read everything else - Mistborn, Warbreaker, Alloy of Law, Legion...more that I forget. Oh except I need to gets Words of Radiance.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...